Sunday, January 15, 2012

Genesis generations

So, we saw 3 generations of God's people live and die. Here are some things I noted about this family.

Isaac
I don't think we saw him grow past from the child that was placed on the altar to die. As an adult, he was very passive and not assertive. His dad found him a wife for him, which he accepted. He never stood up and said, "I have a huge crush on Jenny on the Canaanite. Marry my cousin! Blah! If there is anything you can do about Jenny, or I can go up to her dad. I domt cafe. But this is what I want".

No. The opposite happens. Abraham decrees "no Canaanite women. I will send a messenger to get you a cousin to marry."

"OK. I will agree as I am Isaac and I don't make decisions for myself."

This pattern of passivity continues into adulthood. He was run out of town by the Philistines and then pushed from well to well. I think this explains why Esau is his favorite while Jacob is Rebecca's favorite.

Esau
Esau is a mighty hunter. He is firstborn of uncontested inheritance. Later in life, he leads an army of 400 men as he reunites with Jacob. I think he has more of his paternal grandfather Abraham in him than does Isaac, his father. Isaac is the anti-Abraham, while Esau, Isaac's firstborn son is a lot like Abraham. Certainly, Esau makes up for the inadequacies, or differences, between Isaac and Abraham.

Jacob
Jacob is not Esau, nor is he Abraham. He is something very different. Hie does not lead armies, nor hunts, but rather is agricultural and has uncanny street smarts. This is precisely why Rebecca likes him over Esau. Jacob reminds Rebecca of where she came from, particularly her brother Laban.

Laban has street smarts and relies on this to survive. Actually his street smarts cross into social manipulation, where he controls people and situations to fit his advantage. Rebecca grew up with this guy until she left on a camel to meet rich spoiled boy, Isaac. After they have kids, Esau and Isaac, one is a dumb jock while the other has uncanny street smarts, akin to her brother. Through this lens, I think it is easy to understand why she favors Jacob over Esau.

Rachel
Beloved Rachel, how I worked 14 years to win your hand in marriage.

First, during the marriage with Leah, who Jacob thought was Rachel, notice there is no statement where is Leah? Jacob thinks he is marrying Rachel. Surely, the older sister is present to watch, but the text is silent. Where is she? I assume Jacob didn't care or notice so neither do we as a reader, as the story is from Jacob's perspective. He's marrying Rachel - oh wait, he jus married Leah, maybe he should have asked this question.

Second, why does Rachel take the idols when the clan leaves? One possible reason is out of revenge for making her wait 14 years. If they believed that gods had regional authority, then her family gods would do no good where they are going. On the contrast, Jacob does not seem to be convinced of God's supremacy - and intimacy - until he wrestles with God and lives. So I doubt Jacob at this point would have cared whether Rachel brought the family idols or not. Still though, she would know what she was doing, in that her father would feel he's unprotected, it would then be the perfect parting insult. She had lived her entire life under this crazy, manipulative father, she's going to take the family idols as a way to win her first battle against her father.

Just a theory.

Regardless, these three generations of people who lived 4,000 years ago feel so human.

No comments:

Post a Comment