Sunday, May 13, 2012

Proverbs 23-24

23:1-3 don't eat too much at a banquet before a ruler and restrain yourself from eating everything. This is interesting. I certainly have restrained myself at job interview lunches ehile in law school, particularly if they offered me wine.

23:14-15 - use physical discipline on your kids. I wonder what Solomon would think of "time out" chairs.

23:29-35 - a lifestyle of long hours at the tavern leads to fighting, anguish, and sorrow. I wonder what taverns looked like in his day.

24 - honesty is an extra focus in this chapter.

24:30-34 - Solomon describes with disapproval a vineyard overgrown with weeds. He chastises the owner for being lazy as it will lead him to poverty. I find it an interesting contrast to the end of chapter 23 which describes the effects of too much wine. Wine comes from productive vineyards. So, Solomon is not chastising wine production (quite the contrary), but excessive consumption thereof.

No comments:

Post a Comment