Monday, May 7, 2012

Proverbs 8-10

Proverbs 8 - the narrative point of view switches to "wisdom" herself talking. Wisdom says she is more valuable than money and was created by God before God created the natural world. Taken together with the prior verses that God is the source of wisdom, I think this means that wisdom is in essence part of the mental processes of God.

Proverbs 9 - the narrative point of view shifts to the second and third person to lay out a few instructions. The wise are teachable and correctable while the wicked (foolish) scorn it. The narrative shifts again by discussing a character named "Folly". Folly encourages people to steal. This leads to death.

Proverbs 10 - finally, a listing of proverbs begins. This chapter is 32 verses, each of which contains an individual proverb which makes the chapter extremely dense. The common themes are laziness, money, slander, lies, and contrasting wickedness with godliness. The one that made me pause in reflection the most was that wise harvests during the summer and the one who sleeps through the harvest is a disgrace. (v. 5)

It reminded me of the months between December 2011-March 2012 where my work hours were crazy and that had to be a priority. Those few months were my own "harvest" season with lots to do, but also came with it lots of opportunities to gain experience and demonstrate my capabilities to my coworkers. So, I worked that period of harvest. But I think the principal applies to all jobs - there are seasons of harvest and if you harvest during those seasons, it pays off. If you don't work during harvest season, the opportunity and reward will pass by.

No comments:

Post a Comment