Saturday, February 25, 2012

Deuteronomy 8

God explains why they were in the desert all that time. It was not merely punishment, but rather as a test to see if the Israelites would obey. He let the people go hungry, but it does not sway God let them go thirsty. Rather God provided water from a rock. A lot of this was discipline, like parent disciplines a child. This is an interesting perspective, considering God was ready to wipe them out.

The Promised Land will have the things they lacked in the desert - lots of plants and food. God partly let them go hungry in the desert, so that when their wealth and status increases, they won't attribute it to themselves.

As strange as this chapter seems, I can actually relate to it. In the hopes that some of the things I've struggled with will one day be resolved. For me, it's sports injuries. If I can go an entire year without getting hurt, I will attribute it to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment